Eating Disorder Treatment in Kentucky
Eating disorders are incredibly destructive, leading to long-term health issues and, tragically, often death. In fact, of all the mental health conditions that exist, disorders such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia and others are the ones that are most often fatal. However, at JourneyPure Bowling Green, we know how to provide eating disorder treatment that can help you or a loved one get control over your life and enjoy a long-term recovery.
Do You Need Treatment For An Eating Disorder?
Women are more closely associated with eating disorders, but men can suffer from them as well. Compulsive, dangerous eating habits can become an obsession no matter what gender you are. Some people, for example, can be rail-thin yet still believe they are overweight. Others become so consumed with what they consider proper eating habits that they eliminate some food groups entirely or exercise far too much. If you can answer “yes” to any of these questions, or if you can do so on behalf of a loved one, then it is time to look into eating disorder therapy:
- You either severely restrict your diet or you have an excessive fear of gaining weight.
- You eat large amounts of food even though you are not hungry.
- Even though others think you need to gain weight, you are convinced the opposite is true.
- You are suffering health effects due to your disorder such as irregular bowel movements, problems with your mouth or teeth, severe weight change, dehydration, intestinal irritation and others.
- After you binge on food, you immediately take a diuretic or a laxative, or you vomit. You may also follow an extreme fasting or exercise program instead.
Eating Disorder Treatment
There are three main types of eating disorders: anorexia nervosa, binge-eating, and bulimia nervosa.
Here is some information on each:
- Anorexia Nervosa — This is an extremely dangerous disorder that is typically fueled by a distorted body image. At JourneyPure Bowling Green, we help our clients by providing them the nourishment they need while helping them develop a healthier image of themselves.
- Binge-Eating — Many people deal with anxiety or trauma by binge eating. Not only does this result in obesity, but it can also lead to potentially deadly conditions such as heart disease, diabetes and more. We uncover the reasons behind this disorder and then develop an individualized plan to meet a client’s exact needs.
- Bulimia Nervosa — This is similar to binge-eating in that unhealthy amounts of food are consumed at one time. However, bulimia sufferers will then try and eliminate the food as fast as possible, by either vomiting, laxatives or incredibly intense exercise. Our eating disorder rehab offers counseling and other forms of effective therapy to help clients gain control over their destructive thought patterns and learn how to better cope with stress.
Get in touch with JourneyPure Bowling Green today to learn about the different forms of eating disorder therapy we offer. Let us help you gain control over your life and get back to great health. Contact us online or call us today.