Heroin is a pain-relieving opioid that alters brain chemistry. Once in the body, heroin is converted to morphine and remains powerfully addictive. With the first hit, your brain cells change and the door to addiction opens. For almost all who are addicted, detox is necessary with this drug. For those looking into detox, JourneyPure Bowling Green can help.
Many abuse heroin because it produces feelings of detachment and euphoria. Also, effects can include feeling relaxed and experiencing a rush. Sadly, these effects do not last long, causing individuals to keep using in order to achieve these feelings. When this behavior becomes a habit, dependency can form, and it can be nearly impossible to stop without professional help. However, despite the strength of heroin, individuals who are addicted to this drug can stop.
Our heroin detox in Kentucky can offer comprehensive treatment that not only helps an individual stop his or her use but also address all other underlying issues relating to his or her addiction. At JourneyPure Bowling Green, we see the consequences of this drug up close. Heroin addiction results in some of the most intense psychological and physical dependencies a person can suffer. At our heroin detox center, our patients are monitored and cared for round-the-clock. Our medical staff are able to dispense medications that ease the painful withdrawal symptoms and also treat any underlying mental health conditions.
What To Expect At Our Heroin Detox in Kentucky
Trying to overcome a heroin addiction alone is almost always a losing battle. JourneyPure recognizes several critical steps you must take to overcome heroin addiction:
- Seek immediate help from a leading rehab facility to receive professional support.
- Undergo cognitive behavioral therapy and counseling to understand the reasons behind your drug use, learn how to manage cravings, and regain a sense of self-worth and meaning in life.
- Embrace the fact that recovery is an ongoing process that will require hard work.
- Because heroin withdrawal symptoms are swift, severe, and sometimes even fatal, treatment usually begins with detox. Medically supervised detox allows the user to experience the crippling effects of withdrawal – nausea, vomiting, profuse sweating, joint pain, fever, and anxiety – in a safe environment with a team of medical professionals.
- Addiction therapists provide patients with cognitive behavioral therapy and psychoeducation to address the biological foundations of drug addiction.
The 3 Stages of Our Heroin Detox Program
Drug detox has three distinct stages with their own unique set of challenges. The JourneyPure Bowling Green staff is equipped to handle all of them:
- Emergent detox: Flu-like symptoms, including shakiness and sweating, emerge when the brain expects its next dose of drugs or alcohol. Left untreated, these symptoms can persist for weeks.
- Acute detox: When more severe side effects of the withdrawal process — including the anxiety, delusions, and insomnia mentioned above — present themselves. Medication can help lessen the severity of these withdrawal symptoms. With some substances, this process can be life-threatening.
- Post-detox: Once the drugs have left a clients’ system and the majority of physical withdrawal symptoms have subsided, the brain continues to heal from the damage of substance use. Often feelings of depression and worry can remain. This is where therapy and counseling can help clients cope.
The Dangers of Heroin Addiction
Someone who is abusing heroin will experience a variety of symptoms. And while it depends on how much heroin a person is consuming, how often they’re using, and what kind of quality the heroin is, most people will notice some, if not all, of the symptoms listed below:
- Dry mouth
- Mental confusion
- Respiratory depression
- Decreased heart rate
An addiction to any substance is extremely dangerous. However, heroin is by far one of the most destructive drugs on the market. Those who abuse it are at severe risk for suffering from their physical and psychological health.
Those who inject heroin are at increased risk for suffering from collapsed veins, which can block blood flow to important organs in the body such as the heart and lungs. Heroin users with needles are more likely to catch diseases like HIV or hepatitis because they might share needles accidentally when they are high.
Abusing heroin can also cause significant skin infections, as well as more critical effects such as heart problems and kidney and liver disease.
Thanks to JourneyPure Bowling Green, this addiction can be treated at our heroin rehab in Nashville, and individuals who were once at risk for life-changing consequences can go on to live happy, healthy, and balanced lives.
Find The Right Help At Our Heroin Detox in Kentucky
Through JourneyPure Bowling Green’s heroin detox facility, you can learn to live a sober and satisfying life without heroin. You are worth it. Let us help. Talk to one of our compassionate counselors about heroin detox today if you or someone you know is suffering from heroin addiction.